Re: Migrate OS to smaller drive?

Clive McBarton schreef:
Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
Clive McBarton schreef:
Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
 rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.
What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?
Added to the points others make the "don't cross filesystem
borders"-option (-x), which makes it useful for the task at hand. Then
again, now probably somebody will reply that cp can do that too...

Indeed. The option for cp even has exactly the same name as the option
for rsync, namely "-x" or "--one-file-system".
That indeed makes sense, but I was to lazy to look in the manpages. I guess I am a rsync fanboy ;)

Sjoerd