Re: About USB hard drives and errors

On 20100412_152156, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Celejar wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:06:06 -0600
> >Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> >>I got a little less timid and tried running smartctl even though I was
> >>quite unsure of what to expect. It ran. Each of the three USB HD gave
> >>somewhat different output, but none gave output that claimed there was
> >>a working SMART on the drive. These drives are Western Digital (WD).
> >>The WD web site mentions SMART and also uses the words Smart
> >>Drive to mean something else that is a proprietary marketing
> >>thing, AFAICT. I
> >>was unable to find a list of part #s for drives that support S.M.A.R.T.
> >>
> >>I think I should be in the market for a better class of drives, but not
> >>this weekend. Thanks for the help.
> >
> >My understanding is that S.M.A.R.T. doesn't generally work over USB.
> >As Wikipedia puts it:
> >
> >For example, few external drives connected via USB and Firewire
> >correctly send S.M.A.R.T. data over those interfaces.
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Standards_and_implementation
> >

> I can use smart on my USB drive enclosure with an ATA drive but not
> with my USB drive enclosure with a SATA drive.
>
> Hugo

Very interesting --- but

My quick googling reveals many USB drive enclosures for both ATA and SATA
but the marketers don't make mention of S.M.A.R.T . What is the brand of
your enclosure. I want to look for it, in particular, and see if it claims
the feature that you have discovered. Actually, on looking a little more
closely, I'm not seeing any case of a single enclosure that can be used
with both ATA and SATA. Do I read your post correctly - your enclosure can
contain either a SATA or an ATA, and work over USB? But SMART only works
when it is enclosing an ATA?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net