Re: automate updates in Lenny

On Sat,10.Apr.10, 18:41:15, Clive McBarton wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't matter. Mixing apt-get and aptitude is not a problem anymore.
>
> I believe that this is not complelely true. What is true is that, on the
> command line, in interactive mode, you can use either and it will work
> fine. But the options you can pass to aptitude and apt-get are not the same.

As I mentioned in a later mail. And the specific behaviour is also
different. But there shouldn't be any problem in
installing/upgrading/removing/packages with one or the other tool.

> Back to the specific question of cron-apt, I tried it myself (replacing
> "apt-get" with "aptitude" in its config) to notify me by email of
> pending upgrades, and it was useless. I had to remove it. Had I left
> apt-get in its config, it probably would have worked. I could probably
> dig out or try to reproduce some of the error msgs I got, but far more
> helpful for the list would be if someone who ever managed cron-apt with
> aptitude (if such a person exists) would post here how they did it.

Last time I experimented with cron-apt it did mention that aptitude is
not really supported. But I don't see a problem in letting it use
apt-get and doing your own package management with aptitude.

Regards,
Andrei