Re: ATI Radeon HD 5600?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:37:55 -0400, Dave Witbrodt
wrote:
> On 04/10/2010 10:37 AM, vr wrote:
>> I just picked up a laptop that has that display adapter.
>> lspci:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon
>> HD
>> 5600 Series]
>>

>> The highest resolution I've been able to get so far is 1400x1040 but
>> using
>> the VESA driver.
>> xrandr:
>> Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1050
>> default connected 1400x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>>     1400x1050      60.0*
>>     1280x1024      61.0
>>     1280x960       61.0
>>     1152x864       60.0
>>     1024x768       61.0
>>     800x600        61.0
>
> The VESA driver only allows you to use 4:3 modes, with none of the nice
> features (acceleration, power management) that the Evergreen hardware
> has to offer.
>
> The proprietary ATI fglrx driver only works with versions of the X
> server before 1.7.  What version of Debian are you using?  What version
> of the X server do you have installed?  (Try 'apt-cache policy
> xserver-xorg-core'.)

I am using Unstable, last dist-upgraded as of 4/9

uname -r
2.6.32-3-amd64

With X server version:
xserver-xorg-core:
  Installed: 2:1.7.6-2
  Candidate: 2:1.7.6-2
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.7.6-2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> Open source support (via "radeon", but not "radeonhd") for Evergreen
> cards has been starting to appear since February.  Debian Sid has very
> recent versions of the "radeon" driver (xserver-xorg-video-radeon, v.
> 6.13.0-1) which includes all of the X support made available so far
> upstream; but you will really want a very new kernel if you want to take

> advantage of kernel mode setting.  The Debian Kernel Team has backported

> a lot of DRM support from 2.6.33 into recent 2.6.32 kernels, and also
> has made available experimental 2.6.33 kernels.  (I'm actually using
> 2.6.34-rc3 compiled from upstream because some Evergreen specific
> commits appeared yesterday which update Evergreen support, and I am
> testing a Radeon HD 5750 card which I own.)

Ahhh, OK! I installed xserver-xorg-video-radeon and set my driver to
"radeon" in xorg.conf.
I get 1920x1080 now. I'm not doing fancy window manager stuff ATM so I'm
not sure I'll take this further, for now.
Thank you!