Re: non-ASCII environment

On Sex, 09 Abr 2010, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Hello List,

I am writing some C code which involves ASCII characters:
in C related books, we can find a lot of comments about
ASCII character issues, as far as we are concern with portability.

Nevertheless, something bothers me: where non-ASCII environment can be found ?

Furthermore, can such an environment be created on a Debian box ?
The aim is to check the portability of my code.

There are still IBM Mainframes around that use EBCDIC (yes, that is not just an IT legend). I don't know if they can run a UNIX-like OS and if you can compile your C code to run on it, but even if you could, I'm not sure someone in possession of such mainframe will lend it for you to run your tests. :-)

IBM Mainframes apart, I don't think any machine that you should actually care for is non-ASCII.

--
I think a relationship is like a shark.  It has to constantly move forward
or it dies.  Well, what we have on our hands here is a dead shark.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br