Re: About USB hard drives and errors

On 2010-04-08 20:27, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-04-08 19:44, Paul E Condon wrote:
I want to use the low cost high capacity hard drives that are
for sale in places like Best Buy and Costco. I have put ext3 on
several of them and started experimenting. The results so far
are puzzling.
I do get errors. So I decided to do scans for bad blocks.  The drives
I'm using are all Western Digital because they have been the lowest
cost at the times I buy at Costco. Also all are 500GB.
e2fsck -c <device> is supposed to scan for bad blocks and allocate them
to a special inode so that they cannot be used. It runs for 3 to 4
hours and then says its finished with no indication of how many bad
blocks it found.

[snip]

Has anyone ever used these programs? Have you ever seen useful output?
What SHOULD they do (with a little more specificity and believability)?

Not a direct answer to your question, but: I never leave home without -vfFC0. (The Unix Way is to "say something" only upon failure, but I like continuous feedback.)

(The "dumpe2fs -b" command should show you all your bad blocks.)

Here's the result of me checking for bad blocks:

# e2fsck -c -vfFC0 /dev/mapper/main_huge_vg-main_huge_lv
e2fsck 1.41.10 (10-Feb-2009)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
BIG_LV: Updating bad block inode.               <<<<<<<<<<  Note!!
Pass 2: Checking directory structure Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity Pass 4: Checking reference counts Pass 5: Checking group summary information

BIG_LV: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

  301084 inodes used (0.12%)
   14172 non-contiguous files (4.7%)
     121 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
         Extent depth histogram: 294700/6219
560591687 blocks used (58.03%)
       0 bad blocks
     128 large files

  292926 regular files
    7972 directories
       0 character device files
       0 block device files
       0 fifos
       0 links
     177 symbolic links (155 fast symbolic links)
       0 sockets
--------
  301075 files

--