Re: ditching mutt

Michael Elkins wrote at 2010-04-08 20:08 -0500:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 04:43:03PM -0700, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> > After over 10 years of faithful service (essentially when I ditched pine),
> > I am considering having my mutt put down. Should I move over to gmail, or is
> > there some amazing scriptable GUI mail client that is going to knock my
> > socks off with an array of pipes and regexps and color-highlighting and
> > maybe even procmail-parsing and custom keybinding? (Ideally I'd still like
> > to use a terminal to compose/reply to most email, it's just the inbox/IMAP
> > folder management/searching/etc that is getting too unruly for a terminal).
>
> Both sup (sup.rubyforge.org) and notmuch (notmuchmail.org) are
> interesting works-in-progress that are based off the Xapian search
> engine, and have curses-based interfaces.  For people who like the gmail
> interface, this might be of interest.

Thanks for the mention of notmuch.  I like the "not much" philosophy, with no
IMAP/POP/SMTP support.  I prefer to separate that functionality from the mail
client.

I am using mutt.  I had procmail set up to drop messages in different maildir
boxes.  Then I switched to mailfilter.  And because it is such a pain when a
new mailing list is added (or whatever), I switched to filtering using mutt's
limit command, with all messages in one folder.  But processing my 8000
messages is slow...