Re: Need help installing an "alternative"

On 2010-04-08 19:50, godo wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Hi,

I just locally installed upstream firefox, and of course Debian Alternatives doesn't know about it, so Iceweasel, which uses x-www-browser loads iceape, which I don't want.

"update-alternatives --install" seems to be what I want in order to add /usr/local/firefox/firefox to the x-www-browser list, but can't get it to work.

# update-alternatives --install x-www-browser firefox \
                                       /usr/local/firefox/firefox 3
update-alternatives: error: alternative link is not absolute as it should be: x-www-browser

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Hi
first I newer used update-alternatives so I don't know but is it maybe a
problem: "firefox 3" in # update-alternatives --install x-www-browser firefox /usr/local/firefox/firefox 3
Shouldn be /usr/local/firefox/"firefox 3" maybe?

The parameters to "update-alternatives --install" are:
link      x-www-browser
name      firefox
path      /usr/local/firefox/firefox
priority  3