Re: regexp a package with apt?

Jozsi Vadkan wrote:
Is there a regexp for the:

gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

package?

I mean like:

apt-get install gstreamer*-plugins-bad

so that later, when it will get a new version number, it would still be
downloadable by a "script" written e.g.: now.

Sure, gstreamer.*-plugins-bad$
Just don't forget the quotes to prevent shell expansion, to search for package names only, and if it's a batch job, whatever is necessary to be non-interactive.

I would suggest aptitude
  # aptitude --assume-yes install '?name(gstreamer.*-plugins-bad$)'

until someone can clear what exactly the different apt-* tools are using:

  # apt-get --assume-yes install 'gstreamer.*-plugins-bad$'
  [...]
Note, selecting gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad for regex 'gstreamer.*-plugins-bad$'

  $ apt-cache --names-only search 'gstreamer.*-plugins-bad$'
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set

apt-get seems fine, but I find the inconsitency weird. I'll try to blame my regex-fu before apt-cache, although I just can't think of a way it got to match the *really-bad package. Manpage says it's supposed to be POSIX RE.

  $ apt-show-versions -R '^apt(itude)?$'
  apt/lenny uptodate 0.7.20.2+lenny1
  aptitude/lenny uptodate 0.4.11.11-1~lenny1

-thib