Re: recompiling the kernel with a different version name

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:54:53 -0400 (EDT), Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:48:18 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:

>> Note: you must always issue "make-kpkg clean" after running "make menuconfig"
>> or after running "make-kpkg" with any target other than "clean".  Otherwise,
>> version and revision numbers will not work as expected.  Assuming that you
>
> Are you sure that this is currently required?  From the changelog:
>
> kernel-package (12.016) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * [4df65e7]: Remove obsolete warnings about running make-clean
>     With the new facility to regenerate ./debian, all the old strictures
>     about running make clean after anything that might change the version
>     number have beenmade obsolete, so remove from man page.
>     Bug fix: "Is the --append-to-version section still accurate?", thanks
>     to Frédéric Brière. Short answer: No.                  (Closes: #534743).
>
>  -- Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>  Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:31:12 -0500

I must confess I did not look at the change log.  But the README file
(/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz) still documents it as necessary.
As to whether this is out of date or not, I do not know.
But there is one thing I *do* know: the --revision flag he was using was
not taking effect, as evidenced by the name of the package file produced.
And I also know that when I use "make-kpkg clean" before building the kernel
package, I never have any trouble.  Note also that the comment above talks
about changing the version number, not the revision number.  They aren't
the same.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :