Re: Umont ownership?

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:30:42 -0400 (EDT), jeremy jozwik wrote:
> # adduser po plugdev
> The user `po' is already a member of `plugdev'.
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>> Oh, wait, did you say that the group file is *empty*! (i.e., a file
>> with zero byte size)!
>
> so get this. yesterday that file was entirely empty. today...   looks
> just like group-
> maybe thats because i looked at it after the step above?

Don't know.  Could be.  I'm just relieved that you haven't lost your
group information!

> $ umount /dev/sdb1
> umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount
> umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount
>
> that was done under the new user login, not root.

For a mount/umount command issued from the shell prompt, I would not
have expected this to work, based on the /etc/fstab file you posted
earlier.  There is no rule for /dev/sb1.

> Along with that "right click-unmount" on the media icon in GNOME
> results in nothing.  no error, no unmounting.

Others are going to have to help with the GNOME part of it.
This is beyond my area of expertise.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :