Re: recompiling the kernel with a different version name

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:56:46 -0400 (EDT), Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

> I've just recompiled the kernel from sources with the command
>
> fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-recompiled kernel-image
> kernel-headers
>
> and installed it successfully.
>
> However, the kernel name is
>
> 2.6.32.10+drm33.1-recompiled
>
> and that "+drm33.1" seems to cause problems to Eclipse which does not
> recognize it as a valid version (I think the problem is with the '+'
> character).
>
> Is there a way to change the version so that I can do without that '+'?
>
> thanks in advance
> 	Lorenzo

First of all, I don't know if you've already read this, but I recommend
the following web page to all those who need or want to compile a custom
kernel for Debian: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.  It should
tell you all you need to know (and probably a lot more than you wanted to
know).

My suspicion is that you may have set variables such as CONFIG_LOCALVERSION
and CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO while configuring the kernel.  Don't do that.
make-kpkg has it's own way of modifying the kernel version.  This is
covered under Step 8 in the next-to-last paragraph.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :