Re: how to control tty to external monitor or local lcd

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 02:31:48 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:53:46 -0400 (EDT), Alex Samad wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay a couple of things, I thing we are talking similiar and dissimiliar
>>> things.
>>>

>>> turn on laptop - not connected to ext monitor
>>> loads debian
>>> starts gdm
>>> login
>>> connect to external monitor
>>> use xrandr to move screen to ext monitor
>>> close lid on laptop
>>> use alt+ctrl+f1 to get to tty1
>>>
>>> the ext monitor stays on the X screen and the laptop monitors goes to
>>> the tty - but the lid is closed, I want to move the tty to the ext
>>> monitor
>>>
>>> hope that clears it up...
>>
>> How can you use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to virtual terminal number 1 if the
>> lid is closed?  Are you using an external keyboard as well as an external
>> monitor?  You never mentioned that.
>>

> yep external keyboard - does that make a difference !

For most things, no.  But the key combination to switch to the external
monitor requires that special Fn key, which is present only on the internal
keyboard.

>> I have an IBM ThinkPad 600.  Here's what I do:
>>
>> (1) While the laptop is powered off, I connect the external monitor.
>> I do not connect an external keyboard.
>>
>> (2) I power on the external monitor, then I power on the laptop.
>>
>> (3) As soon as possible during the boot process, usually after "LILO"
>> has been written to the screen but before the timeout occurs to
>> boot the default kernel (which for me is a four-second window),
>> I use Fn+F7 on the internal keyboard to switch to the external monitor.
>>

> I don;t need to do that, my laptop autoamically picks the external monitor
> if the lid is closed - on boot up

Closing the lid may cause other problems.  Many laptops are set up to
enter suspend or hibernate mode when the lid is closed, unless they are
currently installed in a docking station.  Apparently yours isn't,
but this operating state is one that I'm not familiar with.

>> (4) By the time the kernel boots, the display is on the external
>> monitor for the text-mode portion of the boot.
>>
>> (5) When gdm starts, the graphical console also displays on the
>> external monitor.
>>
>> (6) When I use Ctrl+Alt+F1 on the *internal* keyboard, without
>> closing the lid, the display switches to virtual terminal 1 on
>> the external monitor.
>>
>> (7) When I use Alt+F7 to switch back to the graphical console,
>> the display stays on the external monitor.
>>

> yep this doesn't work on mine, plus I want to do it from software. I would
> like a xrandr for the console if such a thing exists

Maybe it doesn't work on yours because you're not doing it the way
I suggest.  You insist on closing the lid and using an external keyboard.
The key combination to switch to the external monitor may not be
Fn+F7 on your laptop.  Maybe it's Fn+F2.  Consult your hardware documentation.
But there should be a way.  xrandr is an X-specific tool.  I know of no equivalent
tool for the console.  Once you switch to the external monitor with
Fn+F2, or whatever, and have verified that both text mode consoles and
the graphical console are using the external monitor, then try using
the external keyboard.  If everything is still working, then try closing
the lid.

If this procedure doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.  You're on your own.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :