Re: Good Use for ClamAV

2010/4/7 Jari Fredriksson <jarif@iki.fi>
On 7.4.2010 10:51, Freeman wrote:
> I'll always be slowly catching up on comp tech.
> I was using Knoppix and ClamAV to remove a virus for a friend when the
> futility of it all hit me.  The free anti-virus hopscotch game that windows
> users play to feel safe.  What wasted energy--over an OS I boot into maybe
> 7% of the time.  They screw up half the time.
> There isn't a big demand for ClamAV on the Debian partitions of a
> laptop/desktop.  But I'll be scheduling scans of the XP partition from
> Debian.  Doh!
> There is even a ClamAV *win32* for the unlucky.

I don't scan my disk partitions with it, but all incoming as well as
outgoing email is scanned with ClamAV (by amavisd-new). ClamAV with some
3rd party signatures (SaneSecurity) works quite well in that. Not
because it detects good, but clamav_daemon is the only daemonized FREE
anti-virus for Linux.

And my Linux is a server for my Windows workstation. Without Windows, I
would not bother scanning viruses.

You learn to write as if to someone else because NEXT YEAR YOU WILL BE

Windows has (recently?) released Security Essentials which is surprisingly good for a free AV. Coulb be worth looking into it. The win version of ClamAV is, AFAIK, sadly outdated.