Re: Running GNOME with 128 MB RAM - Painfully slow?

On 4/4/2010 10:33 PM, Tech Geek wrote:
So I have a very low end system which has 128 MB of RAM and a 486 based
x86 processor. After installing GNOME on Lenny, as soon as I launch
firefox, opera or any other relatively intensive application the system
comes to a crawl and becomes slow and sluggish. The system load increase
up tp 5, the CPU usage also shoots up to 25% and things become painfully
slow to operate i.e. become less responsive.
Is there some kind of min. system requirements for running GNOME? Are
there any tricks to make the system more responsive? Would adding swap
help? Right now my system does not have any swap partition.
Anybody's input who has expereince running GNOME on a low end system
like this would be helpful.
Thanks

GNOME is not your friend, here. Try LXDE, which is a lightweight KDE, but uses GTK instead of Qt.

You *must* have more memory. If you are hacking a smartphone or Kindle or other device, and there is no way of adding memory, then *do* add swap.

Use alternatives, such as Chrome instead of Iceweasel/Firefox, use addons to block ads and scripts in whatever browser you use.

Try text mode (console), learn to love startx. Use text mode programs like vi(m), nano, links, lynx, aptitude, etc., rather than gedit, Kate, Firefox, Synaptic, etc.