Re: Running GNOME with 128 MB RAM - Painfully slow?

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:33:05PM -0700, Tech Geek wrote:
> Anybody's input who has expereince running GNOME on a low end system like
> this would be helpful.

FWIW, here are my experiences running Lenny w/Gnome on a few old machines (all using IDE hdd that are really old):

Machine #1:An old Mac G4 with 1 GB RAM but only a 400 MHz PPC processor.  Also have 1 GB of swap space although it's basically never needed.  This machine is painfully slow, maybe it's the PPC architecture version of Debian that is slower but I doubt it.

Machine #2: An old Gateway x86 with 512 MB RAM and a 700 MHz P3 processor is noticeably faster than Machine #1, although definitely not snappy by any stretch of the imagination.

Machine #3: An old HP x1100 Workstation with 768 MB RAM and P4 1.9 GHz processor.  This machine is really fast with Lenny/Gnome.

All machines are at least 7 years old.

HTH.

Mark