Re: Running GNOME with 128 MB RAM - Painfully slow?

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 04:33, Tech Geek <techgeek12345@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there some kind of min. system requirements for running GNOME? Are there
> any tricks to make the system more responsive? Would adding swap help? Right
> now my system does not have any swap partition.

There usually are minimum system requirements, gnome's are easily
found[1] if you had used a search engine. That said, despite what
might be the official minimum, gnome, like kde, are hogs. If it
requires, at least, 128MB, you're gonna need more to run apps, so if
you want a decent desktop experience i'd go for 512BM at the very
least. For the hardware you described i'd use a lightweight window
manager - there are many: xfce, fluxbox and windowmaker are a few
examples. Heck even for highend i don't use big desktop environments,
but that's me.

> Anybody's input who has expereince running GNOME on a low end system like
> this would be helpful.

I don't normally use "low end and "gnome" in the same sentence, sorry.
However, you could just install gnome-base or gnome-core or whatever
the base packages are, abd build up from there, only installing what
you really need. Last time i installed gnome (the virtual package), it
took 1GB of hard disk space. Plus it's a nuissance to uninstall.

Consider lightweight apps, firefox is growing every day and you can
already find alternatives and forks.

And yes, for a 128MB desktop a swap partition is always welcome and
even if you upgrade your RAM you still have the CPU bottlenecking the
system.

HTH

[1] http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.0/#systemrequirements

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail