Re: 'looking up xxxx' forever

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:41:32 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> But if the ISP hung up on me I would get a 'debian pppd[1192]: Hangup
> (SIGHUP)' and I don't get that.
>
> If my IP expired I would not be able to ping it, but I can. I just can't
> dig anything.

A better test would be whether someone else not on the same LAN segment
as your router can ping your IP address.  But obviously that test is
difficult to arrange for a home user.

Look through /var/log/syslog and see if you can find something which
identifies the lease length.  For example, on my ethernet link, I
see a message in the log which says

   dhclient: bound to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -- renewal in 290593 seconds.

That works out to about 3.36 days, in my case.  The message will
probably be different for ppp, but you get the idea.  And if the
DHCP server is set up not to honor renewal requests, which is
likely to be the case for dial-up lines, then you have a problem.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :