Re: Installing Video Drivers Manually

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-03-30 10:10, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
For Debian users is there a suggested and correct method for
installing nVidia drivers on their desktop systems? I was told by
other distributions I should only use their respected package manager
to use the nvidia drivers listed in their repository and avoid using
the binary I downloaded from nVidia's site because this would cause
problems. Do you have any suggestions about downloading the installer
direct from nVidia and installing it manually rather than using
'Apt-Get'?

Thanks for any info!

The nvidia installer from upstream will give you issues. In debian we
use module-assistant to install things such as this. You can find a
detailed guide specific to nvidia drivers here:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Hmph.

I've been installing upstream for *years* with absolutely no problems. Nowadays, I even install a "split" driver on my 32-bit distro with 64-bit kernel.

Note that I run Sid and compile my own kernel *from Debian sources*.

The only caveat is that every time mesa gets updated, I must go into /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/ and rename libglx.so then symlink libglx.so.NNN.MM to libglx.so.

Final note: I boot straight to the console, Like God Intended, so it's much simpler for me to muck around.

I always install from upstream and just installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.15-pkg1.run from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.15/

I didn't have to do the symlink that Ron mentions, but maybe mesa didn't get updated.

BTW God does not Intend you to boot straight into the console, He Intends you to have multiseat systems.

Hugo