Re: Linux bridge TCP routing problem

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:07 PM,  <lare@puhti.com> wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I have following setup:
>
>           DMZ public IP 4
>           DMZ public IP 3
> Internet---br0, public IP 1 (eth0 is internet side and eth1 is DMZ side)
>           br0:0, public IP 2---nat (eth2)---private IP
>
> Problem is that sometimes (a 2-4 times in a day) DMZ public IP 3 cannot
> make TCP connection to br0:0 public IP 2. The connection is lost from 5
> minutes to 5 hours and fixes by itself. Connection can be fixed manually
> by running command "nmap public IP 2" from DMZ public IP3. ICMP and UDP
> -protocols works fine. When system is broken and I try to make
> tcp-connection from DMZ public IP 3 to public IP 2 and dumping eth2, I see
> some of packets there. When system is working, no those backets can bee
> seen on eth2. DMZ public IP 3 can connect all the time in other mentioned
> IP:s. This system went broken when we removed all physdev-things from our
> firewall and upgraded from etch to lenny. Does anybody have a clue what

sounds like you are having firewall issues, nmap is probably setting
up connection tracking and allowing packets to flow again.

What I don't understand is why you need to use bridging ?  trying to
save ip addresses ??

you can put iptables -j LOG ruiles in to test where packets are
getting to, good rule of thumb is to log packets before drop/rejecting
them

physdev is important when you are firewalling bridge devices