Re: Theoretical drive swapidge.

jeremy jozwik wrote at 2010-03-28 22:05 -0500:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sjoerd mentioned using chroot; are you?  Hmm, maybe you need to bind mount
> > proc, sys, and dev also...
>
> i did try a chroot into the external drive per someone else instructions.
>
> > "Check your device.map" means look at /boot/grub/device.map.  It should look
> > something like this:
> > (hd0)   /dev/sda
>
> yes, it is the same on the smaller drive. basically everything was set
> as it was on the previous drive.
>
> > Perhaps if your new drive is connected externally you should change that to
> > sdb, run grub-install, and then change it back...  I really am not sure about
> > that.

Did you try with /dev/sdb?

> > grub is the bootloader, and runs soon after the BIOS; without it installed your
> > system will not boot.
>
> but if it were installed on the copy from drive, shouldn't it then
> also be installed on the copy to drive? all the config files were
> there.

Grub is a bootloader and is installed on the MBR of the hard drive.  This is
not included when you duplicate partitions.  The config files etcetera that you
mention are /used/ by grub.

> > Also, your laptop might not support booting from USB and booting likely will
> > not work through the adapter interface anyway.  Of course you might have
> > installed the disk in the laptop, in which case the previous paragraph applies.
>
> oddly enough it does. i was poking around in the BIOS this morning and
> the usb is indeed a boot option. not what i wanted, but it is there.

Are you saying that you booted from a drive that was connected externally via a
USB/PATA or USB/SATA adapter?

> i have successfully gotten the new larger drive to boot and load up my
> old debian configurations.
> since i could not get grub-install to work, even with chrooting in, i
> ended up installing minimal debian on the empty larger drive
> [installed in the system].
> after setting the partitions there and having the installer setup grub
> i shut the system down and swaped out the drives.
> with the larger drive as external i cp -arv all the folders except
> /proc onto the larger externally connected drive.

I think that means you were successful; good.