Re: ad blocking squid

On Mar 28, 2010, at 7:42 PM, John Hasler wrote:

> Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
>> Can anyone post a link to a good howto, how to set up a transparent
>> squid proxy, that can filter ads?
>
> I suggest that you try Privoxy.  No need for a HOWTO: just install the
> Debian package.

... and point your browser at port 8118...

I don't remember how I did it, but I followed an instruction in either squid's or privoxy's FAQ and got them daisy-chained. I go to squid's port and it goes through privoxy. Works good...

Oh, wait. That's not transparent. You'll need a redirect rule in the packet filter on the proxy host. And make it the proxy host the default route. And make the real router to the Internet the default route on the proxy host... Are you sure it has to be transparent???

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com