Re: How to read log files

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:11:03 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Is there a good resource for learning to read log files such as the
> kernel log, messages, dmesg, and such? I have been googling but found
> nothing really comprehensive yet understandable for a newbie. Where
> should I start?

When I used RedHat, it has a nice logfile GUI viewer so as for you to
view all system logs in a central place. I am yet to find such tools
under Debian.

So far, multitail is the closest that I can find:

 multitail lets you view one or multiple files like the original tail
 program.
 .
 The difference is that this program creates multiple windows on
 your console (with ncurses). It can also use colors while displaying the
 logfiles for faster recognizing which lines are important and which are
 not.
 .
 It is optimized for terminal-sessions through slow links.
Tag: interface::text-mode, role::program, scope::utility,
uitoolkit::ncurses, use::viewing, works-with::logfile

Comments?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/