Re: "internet connection tester script"

Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
Why doesn't my "internet-connection" script work?

When I plug the ethcable out, it just waits...and waits...and waits...

The script: http://pastebin.com/AE9U1qdL

Depending on what you're using it for, one ping may not be enough. I've seen ADSL routers (more than one model) get into a state where they will pass a ping and some other protocols, and not pass others.

For some reason, http seems to be quite demanding, so my current router check script opens up to six websites and greps for strings they must contain. If all six fail to return coherent results, the router gets rebooted.

If that seems like overkill, it works, and various lesser measures that I have tried were unreliable and rebooted too often on false alarms. This one hasn't failed either way in about three years.

--
Joe