Re: handling removable media without gnome-volume-manager

> Hi all,
>
> ivman ?
> automount ?
>
> I'd like something where I can encode the behavior for particular
> devices, i.e. as I'm using the same devices over and over I'd like a
> way to make sure that the same device gets mapped to the same thing.
>
> Not needing X to be up and running is nice too.
>
> teh google reveals the above choices.
>
> I don't think that automount is quite right, seems like it will work,
> but wasn't really designed for the task.
>
> ivman is several years old, and I'm wondering if it's been superseded
> by something else.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Hi Brian,

usbmount does this (apart from different behaviour for different
devices).

To set up:
 - Install the usbmount package.
 - Modify/add lines in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf:
FILESYSTEMS="ext2 ext3 vfat"
MOUNTOPTIONS="sync,noexec,nodev,noatime"
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS="-fstype=vfat,flush,gid=plugdev,dmask=0002,fmask=0113"
 - Add user(s) to plugdev group.
 - Load kernel modules:
sudo modprobe usb-storage
sudo modprobe sd_mod
   (and add them to /etc/modules)

When you plug in a device it will appear as /media/usb (linked to
mount point /media/usb0). A second device would be mounted as
/media/usb1 etc.

To unmount, I run sync then pull the device. I think the sync command
is probably unnecessary given the flush mount option, but I do it
anyway out of caution.

There's no GUI, which I count as an advantage.

--
Cheers,
Clive