Re: installation failure

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:16:41 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Petrov wrote:
> I tried to install Lenny on Toshiba laptop which has Windows Vista
> using network installation (netinst cd).  It booted normally and
> after downloading some files suddenly stopped.  The system failed
> to boot.  I started it from a live cd  and found that the ext3
> filesystem was created and there were the basic directories -etc,
> usr,var. There was no boot loader. I installed grub from the live
> cd and managed to load vmlinuz and initrd but I don't know how to
> proceed with the installation.
>
> Any ideas will be welcomed.

I realize that this doesn't sound like terribly sophisticated advice
(and it's not), but if I were you I'd start over.  Do the install
over again from scratch, formatting the relevant partitions during
the installation.  If you find that the install hangs at the same
spot two or three times in a row, then I would use a newer copy
of the installer, such as the Squeeze installer, the Sid installer,
or a "daily build" development installer, even if you are trying
to install Lenny.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :