Re: Repartitioning a USB external HD. Need help removing existing partition

On 20100325_204032, Tom H wrote:
> > I just purchased a new Western Digital 'My Passport'. I've done this
> > before and thought I knew what to do, but this one has new, modern
> > features that are causing be problem pain.  As delivered, the drive
> > has format type 07 (HPFS/NTFS).  When I plug it in, it mounts as 2
> > partitions. One is called /dev/sda1 and the other is called
> > /dev/sr0. I have succeeded in removing /dev/sda1 using fdisk and
> > bulling thru warning messages about large number of cylinders.
> >
> > But the /dev/sr0 is being difficult. Both fdisk and cfdisk tell me I
> > have no permission to write. Not surprising given the device name.
> > But I really want to remove it because it automounts with a goofy
> > mountpoint name in /media and I know I will come to regret letting
> > it survive.
> >
> > How? what software utility? Is this one of the x commands that are
> > for experts only?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/u3-tool/files/
>
> WAG: you might be able to add a udev rule to mount that partition as
> an rw /dev/hdX.

This looks promising. e.g. the first user review at above site says,
"The best tool for reflashing or deleting the CD part of an U3-Stick."

Of course that satisfied user was using it on flash technology and I
have an old fashioned magnetic platter hard disk, but I don't think
that will be a problem. The comment "CD part" confirms that I'm not
hallucinating. But ... I'm sure there can't be much difference in the
implementation of U3 on mechanical devices vs silicon.

Unfortunately for me, u3-tool is a DOS/Windows executable and won't
download to my computer. And it wouldn't do me much good if it did
download because I don't have a functioning Windows, only Linux and
Mac.

So, you confirm that it is a known software/hardware reality with its
own cryptic name, U3, whixh is progress. But I still need help.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net