Re: Working network connectivity, not working DNS resolutions

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
> Hello debian-users,
>
> I have run into an interesting issue with the DNS resolution on only one of
> my debian lenny systems on my network.

[snip]

So 10.254.2.254 is router, dgw, dns and it working
10.254.2.1 is machine you are on that can't do dns

* Have you check any firewall issues
* dig is your friend

dpkg -S /usr/bin/dig
dnsutils: /usr/bin/dig
link http://packages.debian.org/sid/dnsutils

with this you can query you dns and test the setup so something like
this from the .1 machine (and even test from the .254 machine to test
as well)

dig @10.254.2.254 google.com

this tells dig to talk to 10.254.2.254 and make a request for
google.com (this by passes the local resolv library and make a direct
request to the dns server)

see if that give you any answers - check the difference between doing
this on .1 and .254.

also try using you ISP's dns server address instead of 10.254.2.254

another tool would be tcpdump, in another windows/screen try this
tcpdump -pni <interface> host 10.254.2.254 and port 53 and then run
the dig command again, you should see requests being sent to the dns
server and you should see replies from there.

depending on the results would depend on what to do next :)

[snip]

In another email you said you can't install any packages because you
can't download to that machine.

if you download them to another machine and then scp over you can use
dpkg -i <packagename>