Re: playing/ripping audio cds

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:37:40 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-03-25 10:59, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>>
>> The grip help talks about making sure that IDE devices use SCSI
>> emulation as the 2.4 kernels didn't support dma for IDE. Has that
>> changed for the 2.6 kernels?
>
> Yes.  Completely different now.
>>
>> Just checked the archives for the grip-users mailing list and saw a post
>> saying that grip was no longer being maintained in debian. Further
>> investigation led me to cdda2wav (for which grip is evidently a front
>> end). Looks like I can use that directly from the command line without
>> any problem so that will be what I will do.
>
> For simply ripping CDs, I've always had great success using abcde.
> No frills, simple rip+transcode from WAV -> MP3/OGG/FLAC.

And for simply playing audio CDs, I like the cdtool package.  It
uses the analog play method.  For it to work, the cd or dvd drive
must support the "play" command, there must be an audio cable
running between the cd and the sound card, and the sound card driver
must support a CD column in alsamixer.  (The CD column has a
separate volume control and is usually not subject to the master
volume control as well, since the CD control is analog and the
master volume control is digital.)

The advantages?  Well, the CD is not "mounted" to Linux.  There is
no data transfer across the bus from the CD drive to memory.
There is no digital data held in memory.  There is no data transfer
across the bus from memory to the PCM device on the sound card.
The CD drive converts the digital data to an analog signal internally
and sends an analog signal to the sound card's CD input.  The sound
card is simply functioning as an amplifier.  As viewed by the
the host processor, the I/O bus, and host memory, nothing is happening.
It requires no computing resources, one the process is started.

If you insert an audio CD, and you have a desktop environment
running, such as GNOME or KDE, some audio application will
probably be automatically launched.  Wait for it to start, then
close the window.  Then type "cdplay" in a terminal window.
That's it.  There are other commands included in the cdtool
package too, such as cdstop, cdeject, cdinfo, etc.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :