Re: Booting from newly installed Kernel package?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:26 -0000, Jen wrote:
> I've installed linux-image-2.6.32-4-i686, but I can't boot in to the
> new kernel. I have also installed the latest version of grub.

I think I don't quite understand you. Stephen and I have pointed out the
reasons *why* the -trunk- kernel is still the kernel that is booted by
default in grub. I am sure that you can boot the newly installed kernel,
by selecting it *manually* at the grub prompt.

This would enable you to remove the now obsolete -trunk- package, which
will also result in -4- becoming the kernel booted by default, because
it is the only kernel installed, or at least the one with the highest
version numbers that adheres to the naming conventions.

This procedure has been detailed by Stephen and I don't see anything I
can add to that.

> What do I now have to do to get my machine to boot from the new
> kernel?

Select it manually at grub's boot prompt.

> I've been told I should perge the package linux-image2.6.32-trunk-686,
> but I don't have to.

You don't have to, but why would you want to? If you want to keep both
packages and their kernels, but have your system to boot the -4- kernel
by default, you have to adjust your grub configuration.

The bug report [1] I pointed out contains a patch against
/usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib that honours -trunk- and sorts it
beneath -4- ...

Run update-grub after patching that file and everything should be fine,
given that the patch is OK. I haven't tested it and you will be on your
own if you do this. Make sure that you create a backup of the file
before you patch it.

I still don't quite understand why you insist on keeping the -trunk-
package though.

  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :
 `. `'`     4096R/CAF14EFC
   `-       081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC