RE: Intel Core i5 integrated graphics

Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:23:37 -0500 <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Frank Miles put forth on 3/22/2010 10:54 AM:
>
> > The straight Intel board may be a better choice for most. I needed the
> > RS-232 port, which is available with the Gigabyte board (external
> > connector added)
> > but not (so far as I could determine) with the Intel board.
>
> Lame excuse Frank. ;) You just didn't care to look as your mind was
> already made up to buy the GigaByte board. Look at the underlined below.
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DH55TC/DH55TC-overview.htm
>
> Peripheral interfaces
>
> * Up to twelve USB 2.0 ports
> * Six Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports with two ports compatible with eSATA
> * _One serial port header_
> * One parallel port header
> * One back panel PS/2 connector
>
> If it doesn't come in the box you buy one of these:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200466&cm_re=serial_port_header-_-12-200-466-_-Product
>
> When there's a will, there is a way.
>
> --
> Stan
>

> --

On the topic of serial ports. What recommendations can be offered on PCI or add-in card RS-232 cards?

How well do they perform in terms of the Linux OS?

How well suited are they for capturing kernel boot messages?

An they can be used to provide a serial console, like a tty right?

-M

Stay in touch. Get Messenger on your phone now.