Linux and Windows partitioners fail to see opposite partitions

I have an IBM R40 laptop which had WinXP and Debian Lenny installed. Due to a problematic upgrade to XP SP2, I decided to use the built-in system restore to reinstall XP. Also, I wanted to play around with Lenny more, so I decided that I'd reinstall two versions of Lenny, too. So I used dban on the partitions to assure a fresh start, then reinstalled XP using the built-in restore feature. I expected that XP would do what it did during the last installation session: allocate the whole drive to itself. Then I expected to go in with gparted and set up the Linux partitions.

Windows installed just fine, except that after doing so, I had to do fdisk /mbr from a DOS console in order to set the mbr to boot XP. I decided to prep for the installation of the two versions of Debian, so I booted up a gparted live 0.5.2-1 cd. I discovered that gparted only saw the 34.31GB unallocated area on the 40GB drive -- no sign of the partition with XP on it.

So I tried an older version of gparted on a Puppy cd and it agreed with the gparted cd: 34.31GB unallocated.

I'm concerned that the new Lenny installations won't be able to see the XP partition.

I booted XP and it reported 5.86GB total, with 1.93GB free. It doesn't see beyond its borders either.

I'm tempted to reinstall Partition Magic on XP and see what it reports. Is that a wise move or should I look at other options? I'd used it during the last installation on this machine and I'm guessing that using a different partitioner has caused this current problem. If I use Partition Magic to resize the Linux partitions, isn't it likely that Linux won't then be able to then see those partitions, too? I'm wondering if grub won't be able to boot Linux if grub is installed on the MBR at the beginning of the drive (where XP is located) because it won't see the Linux partition. Or will grub install on the first Linux partition because it can't see the XP partition before it? Then grub won't boot XP because it can't see it. How can I use Linux tools to fix what Linux can't see? I'd appreciate any advice as to how to proceed.

EED