Re: Intel Core i5 integrated graphics

On 2010-03-22, Frank Miles <fpm@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> with the RealTek chip, but as of now it's running fine - running the
> Debian/testing (squeeze) with the 2.26.32 kernel, and the RealTek
> driver out of nonfree.

I got the same kernel from backports and the network chip started to
work. I'm still using old 3com pci card though.

Haven't had time to check the audio yet. I think it's also Realtek
something. You got it working?

> The straight Intel board may be a better choice for most.

I thought about that, but maybe Gigabyte had more pci slots or something
that I thought that I would need in the future.

> I needed the RS-232 port, which is available with the Gigabyte board
> (external connector added)

I got the connector from ebay. It was a nice surprise that the board
actually had that, since I thought I would have to get a pci card with
serial ports.

> I'm getting a bit less than 1000 fps with glxgears on a 1920x1280
> monitor (DVI cable).

Is this with intel driver? Did you have to compile the driver yourself?
All the necessary requirements in testing yet?

> With a moderate CPU load it's drawing around 50watts (not including
> display) according to my KillAWatt - pretty darn good for a fairly
> spiffy desktop!

Besides, it's easy to cool. And because of that it's easy to get a
really quiet machine.

Pasi