Enable Tapping on Elantech Touchpad?

Now that my wireless is working on my eeePC (thank you, Andrei and Stephen) I have started working on other annoyances.  I got sound working (Alsa was not installed by default).  Now I am trying to get Taps to work on my touchpad.  I have looked through the wiki and the earlier thread by Micha Feigin on the Synaptics touchpad.

I am running Squeeze.  Udev version is 1.7.5.

I have set up a udev rule as suggested in the wiki as follows:

ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="elantech_synaptics_end"
KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="elantech_synaptics_end"
ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD}!="1", GOTO="elantech_synaptics_end"

ENV{x11_driver}="synaptics"

# Restricted to devices which are reported as ETPS/2

ATTR{device/name}=="*ETPS/2*", \
  ENV{x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll}="1", \
  ENV{x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll}="1", \
  ENV{x11_options.TapButton1}="1", \
  ENV{x11_options.TapButton2}="2", \
  ENV{x11_options.TapButton3}="3"

LABEL="elantech_synaptics_end"
This was put in 99-elantech.rules, also as suggested in the wiki.  I have rebooted the system and tried to tap on the touchpad.  No luck.  I can move the mouse and two finger scroll works.  The buttons on the device work, but not tapping.  This isn't a showstopper, but it is annoying.

I installed gpointing-device-settings.  It says that tapping is NOT disabled on the "General" tab.  In fact, nothing is checked on the "General" tab.  The "Tapping" tab also does not have "Disable tapping" checked

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to enable tapping on this device.

 Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com