Re: [semi-SOLVED] Re: Why does installing gnome packages versioned 2.28+6 insist on installing gnash?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 02:15:40PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2010-03-18 05:13:33 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> > My initial difficulties are mitigated a bit.  Some web sites work;
> > some don't.  I think that both Gnash and Flash can be installed at
> > the same time.  Which is actually running, I am not competent enough
> > to know.
>
> update-alternatives --display flash-mozilla.so
> update-alternatives --config flash-mozilla.so

That gives an option for the swf plugin too, if installed. galternatives is
a graphic rendition that sorts things nicely.

Why don't more users just avoid installing the gnome meta packages?  I
have avoided them since etch.

http://packages.debian.org/source/squeeze/meta-gnome2

It doesn't seem like much to pick through the gnome selection, installing
preferred *non*meta packages.  At least not when compared to the long term
of package management.

I forget which are the kickers to get a fully working desktop. I think
gnome-sessions for one.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman