Re: How to install sun-java5-jdk in debian testing?

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 04:38:41 Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-03-17, Jianhua Shao <alex.sjh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I run debian testing in my box, which means, all update source in
> > source.list are from 'testing'
> > distribution. I want to compile Android manually, which needs
> > sun-java5-jdk, but there is no such
> > package in 'testing' distribution, only sun-java6-jdk is out there.
> > Maybe, I could add a 'stable' line in source.list to install that
> > package from 'stable' distribution. But I
> > wander is it a right way to install sun-java5-jdk using apt tools?
> > What is the best way to handle such problem?

I suggest installing the .deb from stable.  If the dependencies aren't
satisfiable, a rebuild is probably the most supported option.  I run a mixed
stable/backports/testing/etc. system, and it works for me; it would be fast,
but it's not something that's supported.

> Java 6 should be backward-compatible with its predecessor. Have you
> tried to compile Android with it?

The android build system has a number of checks which automatically bail if
something other than sun-java5-jdk is used -- Sun's Java 6 included.

While I was previously able to bypass these checks by editing some of the
build system, ISTR that Sun's Java 6 would not compile the unmodified Android
code from Repo/Git.