Re: pivot_root. unmount old root

are you doing this with X enabled?

If so stop X before atempting a umount

Rogerio

2010/3/20 Katharina Haselhorst <brandlk@mathematik.uni-marburg.de>
Hello,

I'm running debian lenny with xen kernel 2.6.26, amd64. Inside a domU I need to make a pivot_root and unmount the old root afterwards.
I've done the following:

cd /newroot
(newroot contains a minimal system from initrd, dev/console, dev/null and old-root are available unter newroot/)
exec <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1
pivot_root . old-root
exec chroot . bin/sh
umount -n old-root

but I always get: device is busy - so I can't umount the old root.
/proc/mounts shows that the proc fs is still mounten under old-root/proc and an umount old-root/proc doesn't work either (device is busy, too).

I also tried to umount proc before doing the pivot_root, but no luck either.
Why doesn't pivot_root remove the proc mountpoint from old-root? As I understand the documentation - it should clear all dependencies so that the old-root can be unmounted afterwards...

Any ideas or suggestions to help would be great!

K. Haselhorst