Even More Grub & UUID

Finally installed grub legacy. (Long story. And no I don't want
Grub2/Grub-PC, whatever.  I've got XP and Debian on a 5 year-old machines.
I don't have to relearn grub for that.)

Ugh.  Been up late.

It dragged in grub-common which I guess gave me an /etc/grub.d and a
grub.cfg but I still had my menu.lst .

I ran update grub and rebooted.

Boot stopped on "reading root file system".

Both grub.cfg and menu.lst were wrong.

grub.cfg had the double // starting the Linux and Initrd lines as per the
current critical bug for grub-common 1.98-1.  But it also had set
root=(hd0,2), which is my extended partition.

But it was menu.lst that needed fixed to boot. The UUIDs were wrong!!

Every time I run "grub-update"--and presumably every time aptitude runs it
in the future--the correct UUID gets replaced with the wrong one, which
exists nowhere on my machine.  Total fabrication according to tune2fs and
gparted.

I mean, isn't this suppose to be how we boot our machines??? Isn't booting
pretty vital to producing a usable operating system?

OK. Dumb question. I run testing.

But Stephen's lilo fixation is starting to look good. =8O

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman