Re: why does resolv.conf change?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:21:52 -0400 (EDT), Clive McBarton wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> What kinds of changes do you see happening and what changes are you
>> trying to prevent?  What harm is being caused by those changes?
>> In other words, what is the real world problem you are trying to solve?
>
> I carefully type a domain name and some decent nameservers into
> resolv.conf.
>
> Then all of it gets deleted and replaced by one single nameserver, which
> is the router and the nameserver of my provider.
>
> I use dial-up internet. The provider gives me a (different) address each
> time. Presumably that means that I must have DHCP?

Dial-up?  That sounds like the point-to-point protocol daemon (pppd).
Traditionally, it is started by "pon" and stopped by "poff".  There are
configuration settings for ppp which control this.  Here's a link to
some information about configuring ppp:

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm#Config.

This is in the overall context of my "Linux on ThinkPad 600" webpage,
and it does not address your specific concern, but it does provide
some basic information on configuring ppp.  In particular, /etc/ppp/peers/provider
looks like the file you need to edit.  The "usepeerdns" option is
apparently what you *don't* want.  As to the domain name and IP address,
that's pretty much up to your ISP.  They control their own domain name,
and they assign you an IP address.  They probably control your hostname too,
as seen by outsiders.

But you *can* supply your own DNS servers if you want.  You just have to make
sure that you're not using the "usepeerdns" option.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :