Re: Wireless still not working (was:Re: New Lenny to Squeeze install problems on ASUS eee)

No need to CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:31:24 -0400 (EDT), Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps this link will be useful to you:
>>   http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x
>
> I had already installed wireless-tools, which did not automatically
> load the module, but I did that myself.  The problem appears to be
> that, instead of providing wlan0 as the wireless device, this creates
> pan0, which I did not look for.  Running iwconfig showed me this.
> If I run:
>
>   ifconfig pan0 up
>
> then I get no errors and
>
>    ifconfig
>
> shows the interface.  Unfortunately, it DOES NOT turn my radio on
> and wicd, of course, shows no wireless networks.
>
> I am really at a loss here.  Are there any other ideas, or suggestions that I can try?

I must admit I am disturbed by the fact that lspci shows the card under
Ubuntu but not under Debian.  My first thought is missing firmware.  But what?
Is there any evidence under /var/log/syslog or in dmesg that it is requesting
any firmware?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :