Re: unable to install mysql server

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:27:32 -0400 (EDT), vishnu vardhan wrote:

> I have followed the steps given by Stephen Powell and tried to install
> again. It is showing same error.
> Out of curiousity I have run
>
> *# dpkg -s mysql-server-5.0*
>
> **and the output of the above command is :
>
> *# dpkg -s mysql-server-5.0*
> Package: mysql-server-5.0

Sometimes, if you happen to catch a Debian mirror in the middle of an
update, this kind of thing can happen.  For example, suppose two packages,
a and b, have been updated.  Let's say the new version of a depends on
the new version of b.  And let's say that the mirror was caught in the
middle of an upgrade.  The new version of a has been downloaded from
the upstream mirror, but the new version of b has not.  It is at this
point when you run

   aptitude update
   aptitude full-upgrade

Now, when you go to install the new version of a, it can't install
properly because it depends on the new version of b, which you don't have.
The next thing I would try would be to re-run the

   aptitude update
   aptitude full-upgrade

sequence and try again.  I'm not guaranteeing that this will solve your
problem, but it might help.  Then run

   dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.0

and see what happens.

--