Re: why does resolv.conf change?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:53:20 -0400 (EDT), Clive McBarton wrote:

> My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten periodically. Any ideas why?
>
> I thought network-manager was the culprit and deinstaled it, but the
> problem persists.

I've had this happen to me when I switch between a hard-wired
ethernet connection and a dial-up PPP connection.  When on the
road and using a dial-up connection, I enter

   ifdown eth0
   pon

Once the ppp connection comes up, /etc/resolv.conf has changed to
identify the DNS servers supplied by the dial-up ISP, which
are different than the DNS servers supplied via DHCP over my
ethernet cable modem connection at home.

This may not be your exact situation, but maybe it will give you
some ideas.  Perhaps switching between hard-wired ethernet and
wireless could do something similar?  I don't know.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :