Re: IOMMU option in bios

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:08:30 -0400, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> I was looking over a dmesg output and I noticed a message that said I
> would save 64MB of RAM if I enabled the IOMMU option in the bios.
>
> I'm using an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO board with 8GB of RAM so maybe freeing up
> 64MB of RAM isn't that big of a deal; however, I had a look in the bios
> setup and saw nothing that pertained to IOMMU to enable.
>
> The BIOS is an 8MB Flash ROM, AMI BIOS PnP etc.
>
> Can anyone eleborate on this message in dmesg?

Not sure if this has something to do with some BIOS option that allow
"memmory remapping" :-?

There is an Ubuntu forum thread that may help a bit:

***
"Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole" / "This costs you 64 MB
of RAM"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1018854&highlight=enable+iommu+option+bios
***

Greetings,