NICs bringin up fails (was Realtek 8139 NICs)

Good day.

I have found that the problem with the Realtek's NICs is only with my installation - when I boot from the install DVD - the installer uses the NICs very well. So, my question is, What can be wrong with my OS configuration? I did use it in KVM then I moved to a real PC.

Here are the messages that I see on

# ifup eth0:
SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device

If I try

# ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 broadcast 192.168.0.255 dev eth0
Can not find device.

But I see the devices eth0 and eth1 in /var/log/messages or dmesg - and they use the appropriate drivers AFAIK.

Why the rescue mode then can configure them?

Thanks for Your time.

PS Please, reply to the list.