Re: unable to install mysql server

Quoting vishnu vardhan <vishnuvardhan.linux@gmail.com>:

OS : Debian Lenny 5.0.4
mysql server and client versions : packages from stable.

I have previously installed mysql-server and mysql-client.
I have tried to delete the files left in the system except of /var/ folder.
I have deleted the /etc/mysql/ folder using the command rm -r /etc/mysql/.
After a couple of days, I am unable to install mysql server and client.
It is showing the following error's :

/var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.postinst: line 144:
/etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):

Setting up mysql-client (5.0.51a-24+lenny3) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
 mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
 mysql-server-5.0
 mysql-server
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up mysql-server-5.0 (5.0.51a-24+lenny3) ...
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.postinst: line 144:
/etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
 mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
 mysql-server-5.0
 mysql-server

What is the best way to install mysql server and client in my system ?
Previously I have deleted the files and folders in /etc/ folder and I have
to reinstall the OS from scratch.
Is there any way to again install package even if we delete the folder in
/etc/ ?

I am looking forward for your guidance or assistance.

thank you,
sid.

Have you tried aptitude purge mysq-server-5.0 and then installing it again?

Regards Chantal