Re: More Xorg

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:19:40 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> You're welcome, but I am disappointed too.  I'm curious to know what
>> the failure symptom was.  Did it complain that the chipset override was
>> invalid?  Or did it accept the chipset override but fail to initialize
>> the server?  Or did it work for a while and then freeze up?  What
>> was the symptom of the failure?
>
> The error message was unsupported device, nothing about the chipset
> override.  Followed by "Fatal server error no screens found".  Which is
> obvious, since no valid driver was available.
>
> The screen blacked momentarily, no doubt whilst trying to honour the
> configuration, but almost immediately dropped back to the command line.
> The time was no more than 1 second.

If you just want to give up, that's OK; but I'm willing to keep trying
if you are.  If you are willing to keep trying, please post the
exact /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that you used and the exact
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file that resulted.  If it took the chipset override
without complaint, that's a good sign!  That means that we've figured out
the correct way to override the chipset.  When we tried

   Chipset "G80"

we got "ignoring unsupported chipset", remember?  And you didn't get that
this time, right?  That's good!  My hunch is that we will have to hard
code the bus id.  If you don't, it goes looking for one that it supports,
and that may be where it rejects the board as unsupported.  Hard coding
the bus id may force it to accept the board.  But I don't want to get
ahead of myself.  Please post the two files above and I'll have another
look.  We have made progress.  We're not done yet.  We may not be able
to reach the end of the road.  But we are making forward progress; so
I don't want to give up just yet.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :