Re: Power on/off PCMCIA und Wifi card at runtime

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:43:13 -0400 (EDT), martin wrote:
> I want to reduce power and to enable and disable my hardware at run time.
> that meens not only to de/active the drivers but to completly shut down the
> hardware.
> in win xp the hardwaremanager does this very well.
> does anyone know how to get this running in linux?

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but the best way to make sure that a
PC card adapter is not using power is to physically remove it prior
to power-on!

But if you want to logically turn it off, here's how.  (The pound
sign represents the root shell prompt.  It is not to be typed as
part of the command, which would of course make it a comment!)

# ifdown <IFACE>
# pccardctl eject <socket>

As for wifi, I don't know.  I have no experience with wifi under Linux
as of yet.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :