Re: How to save output when working in runlevel 3 (Lenny)

On 17 March 2010 16:36, Mart Frauenlob <mart.frauenlob@chello.at> wrote:
> On 17.03.2010 16:27, Nigel Henry wrote:
>> Is there a way to save the output when working in runlevel 3?
> i'd do:
>
> your_command 2>&1 | tee your_logfile
>
> man tee - for details

Yet another option is running your upgrade within a GNU Screen session
[1], by default Ctrl-A H will start logging the output to a log file.

I find screen incredibly useful as it keeps things alive if your X
server crashes. I also tend to run screen sessions on remote servers
that I can attach/detach to when required. It's a program that well
worth getting to know </evangelism>

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/