Re: How to save output when working in runlevel 3 (Lenny)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:27:48 -0400 (EDT), Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've got a whole bunch of updates for Lenny, including a load of X stuff,
> which I don't like installing while X is running.
>
> I save all the update output from the konsole in my history-files for future
> reference.
>
> Is there a way to save the output when working in runlevel 3?

I think what you're asking is "How do I save a copy of my terminal output
when I'm not logged on via xterm (or some equivalent program)?"  Is that
what you are asking?  If that is what you want to do, the "script" command
works well for this purpose.  For example,

# script install.log
Script started, output file is install.log
# aptitude update
# aptitude full-upgrade
# exit
Script done, output file is install.log