Re: xorg problem--dual-head, Debian vs. Ubuntu

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:50:01PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com> [2010.03.15.1453 +0100]:
> > The T60 has a Radeon X1300 card; the built-in monitor runs at
> > 1400 x 1050. I'm trying to attach a 1280 x 1024 external
> > monitor through the VGA port. I'm running Xorg 1.7.5, and I do
> > not have an xorg.conf at all, I'm letting Xorg generate the
> > configuration. When I plug in the external monitor, and run
> > Display Preferences to try to set up the two displays, I get a
> > popup message reading "The selected configuration for displays
> > could not be applied[:] required virtual size does not fit
> > available size: requested=(2680,1050), minimum=(320, 200),
> > maximum=(1400, 1400)".

I'm sorry for the delay--I responded to this yesterday, also
posting my xorg.conf file, but I realized that the message
apparently never went through. I'll skip the conf file
this time.

> Does the following work?
>
>   xrandr --output VGA --mode 1280x1024 --left-of LVDS

No, that just gives me:

$ xrandr --output VGA --mode 1280x1024 --left-of LVDS
warning: output VGA not found; ignoring

Which is odd, because when I ran "xrandr --query" it certainly
did think it was there.

In any event: I did play around with the conf file again,
based on the suggestions elsewhere in this thread, and despite
the fact that I had unsuccessfully tried similar things
before, this time I got it to work, so I successfully have a
conf-file based dual-head setup that's adjustable via the
Display Preferences app.

I do wonder why this is handled differently in Ubuntu vs.
Debian--I had imagined that this sort of thing would be based
just on the implementation of X, but if it's true that it's
some deep tweaking that Ubuntu is doing, I guess I just have
to acknowledge that they're different in this regard. I'd
think that it would be useful to have Debian do this too (I
don't think that everything should be done for me, but here I
can't see any reason why it's a downside for the OS to handle
it entirely).

Jesse Sheidlower